Tag Archives: attic24

Crocheted Tea Cosy

Over the last week and a half I have been creating a crocheted tea cosy to cover my Christmas themed tea pot. I really love the shape of this teapot – it’s a ‘tea for one’ design: the top half is a tiny teapot that sits inside a teacup at the bottom. As a result, it has two handles (that move independently of eachother) and a really high spout. It’s so funny when you start to crochet something for a static object – like a teapot. You look at things in new ways. I never thought I’d describe a spout as being ‘high’!

Crochet with Raymond tea cosy

I read a few patterns first, including this one from one of my favourite blogs, The Green Dragonfly, and this one from another favourite (but sadly no longer active) blog, Crochet with Raymond (left), to get a good idea about the construction of a tea cosy.

The main things to consider are – the width of the bottom of the teapot (as this determines your foundation chain), the change in diameter of the teapot as you progress up (this will determine how many increases you need to make, and how often) and the positioning of the spout and the handle. It was a challenge, but with the inspiration from two of my favourite blogs, I set out to cover my seasonal teapot with a suitably spring-like tea cosy.

I started with a foundation chain long enough to fit around the base of the teapot, and then worked in double crochet in rows all the way up, evenly increasing the stitches to allow for the round shape of the teapot. Shaping around the spout was tricky, but the key is to keep putting the cosy on the teapot to check that you are increasing correctly and the cosy isn’t too baggy. Create the hole for the spout by folding the long rectangle of fabric in half and marking the middle with a stitch marker. Work out how many stitches either side will give a snug hole for your spout to fit through, leave these stitches unworked, and then work in rows on seperate sides of the fabric, leaving the area free for the spout to come through. When you have worked enough rows to come up to the top of the spout chain the number of stitches that you missed and then join to the other side of the fabric. You’ll now be working in rounds! Decrease to keep the cosy snug, leaving a hole in the top of the cosy for the teapot’s handle to poke through. I might do a tutorial for this one day – but for now here’s some yummy photos

Once finished, I made the daffodil and the roses using the amazing tutorials from Attic 24. You can find the roses and leaves tutorial here, and the daffodil tutorial here. Attic 24’s tutorials are so easy to follow. I used a slightly thicker yarn for the flowers as I wanted them to come up chunky enough to cover the top of the cosy completely. The leaves are one of the most effective tutorials I have come across and look really sweet next to the flowers. The daffodil was surprisingly simply, but so pretty.

I will definitely be using these patterns again, I think the roses would look beautiful crocheted into the centre of granny squares, perhaps for a cushion cover of a blanket.

I found it easier to sew the leaves onto the back of the flowers first, so leave a long tail if you intend to do this. It made placement alot easier and I was able to control the positioning better too. I also found I had to block the leaves and the daffodil petals – this is really easy to do. Just mist each piece with water, place a folded up tea towel over it and run a warm iron over it. With the daffodil, you will need to do a couple of petals at a time to avoid pressing the central trumpet – you want this to stay standing up 🙂 Let the pieces cool down and dry off before you sew them on. Alternatively, if you have more patience than me, you can pin the daffodil petals and the leaves down individually to a thick piece of foam, or even a large cushion (a flat one!) and mist with water, leaving to dry naturally. Both techniques work perfectly!

I’ve put my finished tea cosy on my kitchen dresser, ontop of a cut glass cake stand, to really show it off! But here’s a rather badly executed photo of it, which was taken as soon as I finished! I was too eager to show it off!